- VIVA Interlibrary Loan Guidelines, 2011
- Interlibrary Loan Code for the U.S. (rev. 2001) & Explanatory Supplement (May 2008)
- Guidelines for the Interlibrary Loan of Audiovisual Formats (rev. 1998)
- ACRL/RBMS Guidelines for Interlibrary and Exhibtion Loan of Special Collections Materials (Approved by the ACRL Board of Directors, January 2012) "The present guidelines are the result of the merger and revision of two earlier guidelines that were developed and approved by ACRL: Guidelines for the Interlibrary Loan of Rare and Unique Materials (1994, rev. 2004) and Guidelines for Borrowing and Lending Special Collections Materials for Exhibition (2005)"
VIVA Shipping Information
Per the VIVA ILL Guidelines,
- VIVA lending libraries should use the express mail service of their choice for shipping returnable materials and for non-returnables that cannot be sent via Ariel.
- In the interest of minimizing the period of time that materials are unavailable to users at the home institution, VIVA borrowing libraries should use the express mail service of their choice for returning materials to lenders.
Shipments sent via UPS Ground or FedEx Ground will be delivered within Virginia in 1-2 days. There is no advantage to using 2-Day delivery.
VIVA's state-funded member institutions are included in the Virginia Statewide UPS contract. The text of that contract is available here: http://dps.dgs.virginia.gov/DPS/DownLoad/91026-09RenewalRevised.pdf.
Questions about the Virginia Statewide UPS contract should be directed to Mary Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-461-5046 option 1)
- UPS approved shipping addresses (Updated 6/10/13)
- Shipping Cost Comparisons
- Mailing & Packing Tips / Rosa Townsend & Joy Galloni
- Electronic Delivery and Interlibrary Lending / Jean L. Cooper (VLA, 2004)
As a follow-up to an
outstanding presentation provided at the 2011 ILL Community Forum, the
VIVA Resource Sharing Committee/ILL Subcommittee explored the possible advantages of utilizing USPS for ILL transactions. It was determined that this would not be widely
beneficial for VIVA members.
It is possible that VIVA members who
provide some volume of International shipping might benefit from USPS
shipping. The ILL Subcommittee encourages those libraries to explore that option on their own. Libraries with questions about
USPS should contact:
Business Solutions Specialist
United States Postal Service
434 978 7633 Office